Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rejected

Confession: I went on a job interview at the Berklee College of Music in Boston a few weeks ago.

Confession: I found out today that I didn't get the job.

Confession: I'm okay with it, but I learned more about myself in the process.

As most of you know I don't plan on being an Alabama resident forever. I have LOVED my time at Auburn and if I was in a different point in life or if Auburn was in the Northeast I may never leave. However it's time for me to start putting my personal/social life first.

A while ago I said to myself the perfect time to start a new job would be January 2011. That would mean I would have 2.5 years at Auburn under my belt and that I would have another FOOTBALL season to enjoy as well.

I have been VERY selectively job searching this spring because hiring for the summer is a hot time in higher ed. I had a phone interview for a job that didn't work and I was okay with it and then I see the Berklee job. I don't know if many of you know, but one day I would LOVE to work at an arts/performing arts school. Berklee is in Boston and the job looked great. I had a phone interview and then was quickly invited to campus. I really enjoyed being back in Boston and Berklee as a whole. I really thought if they offered it that I would take it - so much seemed perfect. However I knew whatever was meant to be will be.

So today I got the call that I didn't get it and I figured as much since I should of have from them 2 weeks ago if I did get it, so I pretty much accepted the fact. It was nice to have closure at least.

However I have learned in my next job I DEFINITELY want to either work in a city or be able to live in a city or both. I have expanded my city list from Boston, NYC, New Haven to also include Baltimore and DC. I also really would like to be back at a private school, I've never worked at a private, just attended. There aren't tons of arts schools around, but I would LIKE to work at a liberal arts school. Finally in my next job I want to start a doctoral program so I need a school that offers one or has agreements with neighbors schools to go for free/low cost.

Now let me get one thing straight I don't want to compromise my work, but I'm open to more than just orientation. I know I'll always have my hands in orientation, but I'd love to work with peer mentoring, leadership, even a res life live off job.

One thing I will not settle for is money, I know how much I'm worth and how much I want to make. The job offer is the best time to negotiate salary and that is a top priority for me.

I've kept most of this information to a small circle of people and my heart already breaks at the thought of leaving Auburn, but what I want more is a life with my friends and enjoying a city while we're all still young, unmarried and childless!

Please keep my job search in your thoughts and that what's meant to be will be.

No comments: