Monday, June 15, 2009

There she is...

What a bad blogger I am..I know. I would feel guilty, but it's not like I get paid for this, plus none of you comment therefore making me feel like I have no readers even though I have 2 different sitemeters to know you are there!

Well last weekend (not to be confused with this past weekend) I went to the Miss Alabama Pageant. Shocking I know. Well my friend Michelle coordinates the Miss AU pageant and I have helped with some question prep twice. Plus our Miss AU Kimberly is a sweetheart so when Michelle invited me to go I couldn't say no - out of sheer curiosity. The pageant was in Birmingham at Samford University. The contestant are there all week for semifinals. Michelle told me to dress up a bit and I'm glad I did because it was like a fashion show in there...goodness. I think some of the people in the audience were more decked out than the contestants. The auditorium at Samford where it was held was BEAUTIFUL and huge. I would say it held a few thousand people and it was packed as far as I could tell. I was in the 8th row center sitting among all the other pageant directors since Michelle is a director.

Mind you I brought a notepad and took a few pages of notes that I wrote with the flashlight/shaker type thing we had to shake and light up when Kimberly was on stage.

The show opened with a dance number with all 48 Miss Alabama contestants and the "host" who really wasn't the host he was just the entertainer. Lots of bright sparkly dresses in this number and really throughout the competition. The girls all looked pretty normal...not too many giant teeth, or big hair, or bad tans.

The currently Miss Alabama did a lap around the stage in this mermaid type dress and nearly fell in it...hilarious.

Then then announced the top 10 for Miss Alabama...it was announced SO fast and sadly Kimberly didn't make top 10. Apparently it's all politics. Only one new girl made the top 10 this year. I should note that one of the ladies in top 10 had some meat on her bones unlike most of the contestants so I was pleased about that.

Next was swimsuits for the top 10, I was surprised that they could wear whatever they wanted for the most part. 2 girls did NOT pick flattering bikinis AT ALL. It was just super awkward - there was this terrible "music" really noise that played in a loop. I prefer watching it on tv where there are announcers telling you fun facts.

Then there were various local pageant and director awards and Michelle won Director of the Year!!!!!

The judges were introduced in the next break...blah blah.

Over $98,000 in scholarships were going to be awarded at this pageant..day-um.

There was another super cheesy group dance number, but we cheered loudly for Kimberly anyway. She always made such funny faces when she actually saw us!

Throughout the show there were awards breaks...Kimberly won a few awards!!!

Before the top 10's talent...four former Miss Alabamas performed "Ain't no mountain high enough." It was enjoyable.

The talent were:
First girl up sang...it was okay, but I didn't know the song. I think it was a Christian song...I wouldn't be surprised.

Second girl did a jazz dance...meh.

Third girl played the piano...not impressed and the girl looked like an bird.

Fourth girl did ballet...I wrote something next to it but I can't read my own notes.

Fifth girl sang some opera crap that I did not enjoy - I think...someone sang some crap opera and now I can't remember who it was.

Sixth girl did a tap routine...okay.

Seventh girl did a terrible ballet routine..she didn't do point.

Eighth girl sang...boring

Ninth girl did a jazz routine to a Lion King on Broadway song and I really enjoyed all of it.

Tenth girl sang...shocking. I think she did terrible opera too.

I have yet to mention the actual host of the pageant. She was a former Miss Alabama and she was fabulous...I enjoyed her an a host/time filler.

Next were evening gowns and all the contestants came out for this...one of the non finalists stepped on another girls dress going down the stairs...sadly no one fell, but it was pretty funny regardless.

I thought some of the dresses were pretty, but I'm not a fan of dresses with cut outs...yuck. Also I noticed there was a good bit of yellow throughout the whole competition.

The Miss American organization President was there...he was the least heterosexual "heterosexual" man ever...which is saying a lot because there were quite a bit of guys like him there. Anyway he was really there to peddle his new book, but he slammed the Miss USA pageant and made some other noise including the fact that Miss America is the world's largest scholarship giving away $45 million each year - scholarship...oy vey.

Then was the interview portion which I was told doesn't even count. They girls all were channeling their inner Jackie O...decked out in red, white, blue and black. They were all so "PC" in their answers...I guess after the Miss California (Miss USA) debacle everyone wants to mind their p's and q's.

All the former Miss Alabamas in the audience got recognized...one former Miss Alabama from 2004/2005 ended up winning Miss America.


The Miss Alabama 2008 her her final, final curtain call. She sang and performed piano with her 80+ year old grandfather who was a piano professor a Samford for years and years that taught her how to play. It was super cute seeing them play dueling pianos.

More cheesy group song and dance this time to "We are family."

Finally the results...lots of screaming from the audience. One woman behind us got confused and thought the girl who got runner up won and she was super pumped until she realized she in fact did not win. The girl who was was Miss Hoover..her name is Liz something - she did the Jazz dance to the Lion King song that I liked!

So mark your calendars folks...Miss America Pageant January 30, 2010 on TLC. (Writing 2010 is so gross)

No comments: