Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Criminal Minds

I really think my favorite drama on television now is Criminal Minds. Shhhh don't tell Law & Order: SVU I said that, however it's true. I do still enjoy SVU, but I think I've just seen too many episodes.

I actually started watching Criminal Minds by accident over Christmas break. I was home at my mom's and we were looking for something to watch, I think we actually stumbled upon Pawn Stars (another great find of Christmas break) on A&E and after a few episodes of Pawn Stars were on Criminal Minds came on, like 3 episodes in a row. Criminal Minds ending up being on like every night for multiple episodes on two different channels - A&E and some Ion channel that I don't get down here. I swear after a few days of Christmas break I must have seen a 20 episodes.

The show follows members of the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU). The agents of the BAU are profilers...they profile both the victims and the unsubs (unidentified subject). They mainly deal with serial killers which I find to be both fascinating and frightening. The show really has some excellent twists and turns.

I also really love the cast. I'd say my favorites are Agent Derek Morgan, Tech Guru Penelope Garcia, and my absolute favorite Dr. Spencer Reid. Also media liaison Jennifer "JJ" Jareau is growing on me, but mostly because I think her boyfriend/baby daddy is a tasty treat.

The great thing about being hooked on Criminal Minds is that it's been on for nearly 5 years which means there are so many episodes out there that I still haven't seen. Sadly the new episodes of Criminal Minds is on Wednesday nights which already is chock full of Idol/Glee/Cougar Town/Modern Family. Also in the fall CBS is premiering a spin-off called Minds 2.0 - I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Finally I also want to mention one thing I really really enjoy about Criminal Minds is that it always ends with a famous quote (sometimes it also starts with a quote) and the quote really relates to that episodes. Some notable ones include:
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." ~ Kahlil Gibran
"We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ Chuck Palahnuik
"Nothing is so common than the wish to be remarkable." ~ Shakespeare
"The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." ~ Cicero

2 comments:

codi.susanne said...

I read this whole thing thinking of Law&Order criminal intent, which is SO not as good as SVU. If I try this criminal mind, I let you know

Unknown said...

I LOVE Criminal Minds! And Reid is my favorite as well!!! One brain