Friday, August 15, 2008

Let the Sunshine In

I think I totally would have been a hippie in the 60s.

As mentioned on my "Constant Interests" list I love Broadway musicals. While at work today I had the craving to listen to music from "Hair" especially "Let the Sunshine in." I've always loved and been moved by both the song and the scene in the movie version. Below I found a clip on that scene if you are not familiar.



I have such a clear memory of my dad singing songs from hair, especially this one. My dad loved to sing in the car or around the house - and he voice wasn't half bad. The music from "Hair" was one of his favorites, probably because he WAS a hippie in the 60s. Bell bottoms, long hair, love beads, tie dye...etc. He even took off time from college to live in California and bum around. Luckily he wasn't drafted...I believe his number may have even been called, but the Vietnam ended before was scheduled to report.

But here we are 2008 and again we are in the middle of a war that we should have not gotten involved with to begin with. Yet there isn't a superstrong youth movement. Don't get me wrong it seems the twenty-somethings are more into politics and voting than ever before, but at the same time when it comes to politicans...it's the same crap just presented in different bags. Don't get me wrong I fully intend on voting int his year's election...mostly since it will give me to the right to complain about whoever is president. I just want my generation to not be as apathetic as the generations prior...we have been through a lot as a generation. I just hope when the people from my generation are old enough to be major players in the government they will be able to make some changes for the better.

No comments: