Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Don't Remember Growing Older

I often find myself thinking the the song "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof when I think about aging. Those of you unfamiliar here is a excerpt:

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

I don't remember growing older
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?

Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

Seriously. I taught my freshmen seminar class this morning and I still pinch myself that I'm old enough to teach. Actually on this week's How I Met Your Mother...it's Ted's first day teaching at Columbia and he debates about he wants to introduce himself to the class as "cool young Ted" or as "Stuffy Professor Mosby." Check out the first minute of this clip about a nightmate he has about the first day



It's crazy to think that I'm about the same age as the characters of How I Met Your Mother or Friends when the shows were in it's early seasons. They all seem like such grown ups...while I do not.

I swear I think I have a quarterlife catharsis weekly if not daily.

No comments: